We’re starting to add version history for sites created in new Google Sites, a highly requested feature from our site owners and editors.
Version history will roll out over the course of 2020 for both users creating new sites as well as for previously existing sites. Version history will be gradually enabled on a user-by-user basis for newly created sites, while a separate rollout will enable version history for previously existing sites. We anticipate:
- By March 2020, all users will have version history enabled for newly created sites
- By the end of 2020, most existing sites will have version history enabled
Why you’d use it
Version history allows site editors to easily:
- Revert to previous versions of a site
- Restore deleted site content
- View the history of who has made changes to a site
How to get started
- Admins: No action is required, as this feature will be available by default for newly-created sites once it rolls out to a user. Rollout will not be on a domain basis — it will roll out to newly created sites on a user-by-user basis and to existing sites on a site-by-site basis. Not all of your users will get access to the feature at the same time.
- End users: Click the overflow (three-dot) menu and select “Version History.” Or, you can click on “All changes saved in Drive” at the top of the site. Use our Help Center to learn more about using version history and restoring the earlier version of a site.
Newly created sites:
- Rapid Release domains: Extended rollout (potentially longer than 15 days for feature visibility) starting on December 4, 2019
- Scheduled Release domains: Extended rollout (potentially longer than 15 days for feature visibility) starting on December 4, 2019
We’ll update this post when the rollout for newly created sites is complete.
- We anticipate that most existing sites will have version history by the end of 2020. We’ll update this post once rollout begins and once rollout is complete.
- Available to all G Suite editions
- This feature will be available by default.
Stay up to date with G Suite launches