We will now show more information about devices with basic mobile management in the G Suite Admin console. Specifically, admins will now be able to see the encryption state and the security patch level for Android devices. Previously, this information was only available for devices with advanced mobile management.
Why you’d use it
Encryption state and security patch level are important pieces of information for assessing device security. There is less risk of a data leak from a lost or stolen mobile device if that device is encrypted and password protected. Devices with more recent security patch levels are typically less susceptible to attacks than devices with older patch levels.
By making this information available for more devices, we hope you can better understand potential security vulnerabilities, better track the progress of security improvement initiatives, and make access-level decisions and rules to help ensure data is secure in your organization.
How to get started
- Admins: See our Help Center for more information about how to manage your organization’s mobile devices.
- End users: No action needed.
- You can see both encryption status and security patch level on the device detail page for each device in the Admin console. This is available to all G Suite customers.
- You can also see the security patch level in the devices audit logs at Admin console > Reports > Devices. Note that the devices audit log is only available to G Suite Business, G Suite Enterprise, and G Suite Enterprise for Education domains.
- You can set up rules based on this information to automate mobile management tasks.
See encryption status and security patch level for devices with basic mobile management
- Help Center: Manage your organization’s mobile devices
- Help Center: Compare mobile management features
- Help Center: Devices audit logs
- Help Center: Automate mobile management tasks with rules
- Rapid Release domains: Extended rollout (potentially longer than 15 days for feature visibility) starting on September 3, 2019
- Scheduled Release domains: Extended rollout (potentially longer than 15 days for feature visibility) starting on September 3, 2019
G Suite editions
Available to all G Suite editions
On/off by default?
This feature will be ON by default.
Stay up to date with G Suite launches