We’re launching a new way to create Google Workspace Add-ons. With alternative runtimes, developers can write Add-ons in any language and on any infrastructure, and then publish them to the Google Workspace Marketplace. Alternate runtimes was previously available in beta.
Admins and developers
Why it’s important
Google Workspace Add-ons allow you to use third-party applications within Google Workspace. These integrations between Google Workspace and other productivity applications allow work to happen more seamlessly across platforms, helping you get work done faster without switching from one app to another.
Previously, developers had to write Add-ons in Apps Script. With this launch, developers can write them in whatever language, and on whatever infrastructure, they want. This change enables developers to use the tools and systems they’re used to, making it quicker and easier to create and publish high-quality Add-ons.
- Developers: See our developer blog post to learn more about the new feature. Use our developer documentation to learn more about Alternate Runtimes for Google Workspace Add-ons.
- Admins: This launch represents a new way for developers to build and publish Add-ons through the Google Workspace Marketplace. There’s no difference to previous add-ons from a domain or user perspective. Visit the Help Center to learn more about managing Google Workspace Marketplace Apps for your organization.
- End users: If allowed by your admin, you’ll be able to install Google Workspace Add-ons using the “+” button in the Google Workspace quick access side panel or via the Google Workspace Marketplace. The add-ons you install will appear in the side panel across Google Workplace apps.
- This feature is available now for all users.
- Available to all Google Workspace customers, as well as G Suite Basic and Business customers