Last year, we announced that a new Android management client, Android Device Policy, would replace the legacy Google Apps Device Policy client. We’re now discontinuing the legacy client.
To ensure that devices enrolled by users with advanced management will continue to sync and have access to data, users in your organization must switch to Android Device Policy before October 26, 2021. If users still have Google Device Policy on this date, they won’t be able to sync their devices or access data.
To switch to Android Device Policy, users must have an Android 6.0 Marshmallow or later device that supports a work profile. For users with devices that don’t meet these requirements, consider switching to basic mobile device management.
Devices enrolled by users with basic management must move to Android 6.0 Marshmallow or later before October 26, 2021 to continue enforcing a screen lock. If a user’s device can’t be upgraded to Android 6.0 or later, their device will continue to sync and retain access to data, however it will not be able to enforce a screen lock.
Admins and end users
Why it’s important
The latest Android devices and operating system (OS) versions provide improved security features. Moving to Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) or newer can help ensure all devices are protected by the latest security features, and can take advantage of improvements in the Android enterprise experience.
- Admins: Admins can find devices which may need to take action in the Admin console. Visit our Help Center to learn more about the differences between Android Device Policy and Google Apps Device Policy. Different devices may need to take different steps to upgrade:
- Advanced management devices:
- Find advanced management devices by going to Admin console > Mobile devices and filtering for Type: Android and Management level: Advanced.
- Determine which of these devices are currently managed by the Google Apps Device Policy app and support the Android Device Policy app (i.e. devices with Android 6+ and support for a work profile)
- Send these instructions to your users to help them migrate to Android Device Policy.
- Basic management devices:
- Find basic management devices by going to Admin console > Mobile devices and filtering for Type: Android and Management level: Basic.
- Instruct users of these devices to upgrade the Android OS to version 6.0 Marshmallow or later.
- End users: Affected users can visit our Help Center to learn how to transition devices from Google Apps Device Policy to Android Device Policy.
- Rapid and Scheduled Release domains: All devices must complete the upgrade by October 26, 2021. Android Device Policy is available now for all users.
- Available to Business Starter, Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Essentials, Enterprise Standard, Enterprise Plus, Education, Enterprise for Education, and Nonprofits customers
- Not available to G Suite Essentials