We’re extending the Gmail API by bringing developers new ways to manage the language settings your users. If you currently have applications that configure Gmail accounts during migrations or initial on-boarding, this is a great way to ensure each account has the correct display language.
Admins and developers.
Why you’d use it
With these new language settings methods, it’s possible for apps to get and update a user’s Gmail display language all within one place—the Gmail API. You may have previously used the update language settings method in the Admin SDK’s Email Settings API to handle these types of changes, but that will soon no longer be available. These new methods are good replacements.
How to get started
- Admins and developers: To try out the new methods, check out the documentation. If you have any issues, you can also use the gmail-api tag on StackOverflow.
- End users: No action needed.
With this update, we’re also bringing you additional functionality, like the ability to:
- Use these methods to manage the language settings of any user.
- Get the current display language of a user. This is great for tailoring your application to the user’s language.
Note: If you need pointers on how to migrate from using the Email Settings API, specifically the update language settings method, here’s a detailed migration guide to help you transition.
- Google Developers: The Gmail API: modern, fast, RESTful
- Google Developers: Managing Language Settings
- Help Center: Change your Gmail language settings
- Rapid Release domains: These features are already available for all domains.
- Scheduled Release domains: These features are already available for all domains.
G Suite editions
- Available to all G Suite editions.
On/off by default?
- This feature will be OFF by default and can be enabled at the user level.
Stay up to date with G Suite launches