We’re adding a quick settings menu that helps you easily find and use different layouts, settings, and themes to make Gmail look and feel right for you.
When you click on Settings, you’ll now see different interfaces, inbox types, and display options alongside your real inbox. When an option is selected, the inbox will immediately update so you can compare choices and see how settings work in real time.
The full settings menu is still available by clicking the “See all settings” button at the top of the new quick settings menu.
Why it matters
Gmail has many options to customize layout, look and feel, and other details to make sure the interface is personalized and optimized for how you like to work. These include:
- Customizing the density of text and information displayed
- Choosing a different inbox type to help intelligently prioritize and organize emails
- Adding reading panes to quickly see email contents
- Applying themes to personalize the look and feel of your inbox
We’re making these options easier to find, and letting you explore them in real time, so your actual inbox will update immediately to show you exactly what the setting will do. We hope this makes it easier to set up Gmail the way that works best for you.
Note that this update just adds an easier way to access settings that already exist in the full Gmail settings menu. There are no new settings, and users’ existing settings won’t be changed with this update. You can still see the full settings menu by clicking the “See all settings” button at the top of the new quick settings menu.
Admins: There is no admin control for the feature.
End users: This feature will be ON by default. Visit the Help Center to learn more about customizing Gmail settings, or how to help users switch to Gmail from Microsoft Outlook.
- Rapid Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on May 26, 2020
- Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on June 22, 2020
- Available to all G Suite customers as well as users with personal accounts.