We’re making Connected Sheets generally available to G Suite Enterprise and G Suite Enterprise for Education customers. Connected Sheets helps you analyze BigQuery data in Google Sheets. It was previously available in beta. Connected Sheets will replace Sheets data connector, a more limited way to connect Sheets and BigQuery.
Read more about how you can use it to analyze petabytes of data with Google Sheets in our Cloud Blog post.
Why you’d use it
Connected Sheets links Google Sheets to BigQuery, so you can analyze large BigQuery datasets using familiar spreadsheet tools and operations. This means users don’t need to know SQL and can generate insights with basic spreadsheet operations like formulas, charts, and pivot tables.
This makes it easier for more members of your organization to understand, collaborate on, and generate insights from data. Specifically, it can help subject matter experts work with data without relying on analysts, who may be less familiar with the context of the data or be overloaded with a wide range of data requests.
Connected Sheets includes all the capabilities of the legacy Sheets data connector with additional enhancements. Enhancements include the ability to analyze and visualize data in Sheets without needing to first extract the data, being able to see a preview of data through a Sheet, and scheduling data refreshes to avoid analyzing stale data.
- Admins: No action required, Connected Sheets will be ON by default. To use it, you must have set up BigQuery for your organization, and users must have access to tables or views in BigQuery. Use our Help Center to learn more about how to set up Connected Sheets.
- End users: This feature will be ON by default. To use it, must have access to tables or views in BigQuery. Use our Help Center to learn more about Connected Sheets.
- Rapid and Scheduled Release domains: Extended rollout (potentially more than 15 days for feature visibility) starting on June 30, 2020. We expect rollout to complete within a month.
- Available to G Suite Enterprise and G Suite Enterprise for Education customers*
- Not available to G Suite Basic, G Suite Business, G Suite for Education, and G Suite for Nonprofits customers
- Cloud Blog: Analyzing petabytes of data just got easier, with Google Sheets
- G Suite Admin Help: Turn on Connected Sheets
- Google Help: Get started with BigQuery data in Google Sheets
- G Suite Updates Blog: Work with billions of rows of BigQuery data with connected sheets, launching in beta
- This feature was listed as an upcoming G Suite release.